The Board of Elections conducts municipal, county, state and Federal elections in compliance with the election laws of North Carolina and with supervision from the North Carolina State Board of Elections.
The State Board of Elections appoints a three-member board and a Director of Elections for the County. In 1996, the National Voter Registration Act caused many changes in voter registration, such as allowing the public to register when they apply for their drivers’ licenses, at public libraries, at the Employment Security Commission or at any public assistance agency.
Upon request, the Board of Elections can supply information on disks and by hardcopy. The Board of Elections strives to operate as up to date as possible and with a minimum cost to the taxpayer.
To view Elections Results, visit the North Carolina State Board of Elections web site.
Important Update to Voter ID Law
PHOTO ID, SAME-DAY REGISTRATION, OUT-OF-PRECINCT VOTING, & PREREGISTRATION
On July 29, a panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit struck down photo ID requirements and other elections procedures enacted under S.L. 2013-381 and amended by S.L. 2015-103.
Barring any alternative outcome on appeal, the following are no longer enforceable:
- Photo ID requirement contained in Part 2 of Session Law 2013-381, as amended by Session Law 2015-103;
- Removal of preregistration contained in Part 12 of Session Law 2013-381;
- Elimination of same-day registration contained in Part 16 of Session Law 2013-381;
- Changes to early voting contained in Part 25 of Session Law 2013-381; and
- Elimination of out-of-precinct voting contained in Part 49 of Session Law 2013-381.
The district court order is available here. Please check back at this website for updates as they become available.
Mary Beth Tipton, Director
Vicki Arrowood, Assistant Director
Duane Cassida, Chairman
Gary Boone, Member
Kim Simpson, Member
Yancey County Board of Elections
Yancey County Service Center
30 East US Highway 19-E Bypass, Suite 2
Burnsville, NC 28714
Mailing address: PO Box 763